Monday, April 13, 2009

Operation Moonlight



Once more I got the itch to try my hands at another digitally created Aviation Art piece, this time a World War 2 invasion consisting of bombers on their way to a target far off into the night. I wanted to try it from a persons perspective on the ground looking upwards and seeing the underbellies of the planes while using the moonlight and clouds as a backdrop producing a wave of silhouetted aircraft's.

One of the problems I had as I was trying to keep it as closely to photo realism as possible was the sharpness of the model planes so a slight blur added through Photoshop fixed that, the other was the original idea of color I just wasn't pleased with that at all like I was with my "Dog Fight" piece and its chromatic finish so I decided to try it with Black and White and finally adding sepia to the finish for a more nostalgic and historic feel. I made many tweaks in the process playing with contrasts and highlights before coming to what you see now.

This was created with Vue6 Infinite and Photoshop CS.

This art piece like most can be found at both my Zazzle store and my Fine Art America's store.

8 comments:

Jasmine said...

I love this and I think you did a great job. When I first glanced at it, I thought it was an actual photograph. I can tell you put a lot of hard work into it, great design.

Richard Rizzo said...

Thank you Jasmine I appreciate that, it indeed took longer then I expected, just getting the right camera angle set up took awhile nevertheless I am satisfied with the results.

CrypticFragments said...

very neat! at first it kind of freaked me out...my own current line is Tees for Peace so a depiction of a war operation startled me...

but artistically speaking, it's a nice piece of work

best wishes

Richard Rizzo said...

Thank you CF, I enjoy creating digital aviation art especially military aviation with the old WW2 fighters and bombers, trying to give it a sense of realism can be quite challenging.

RanchLady said...

My first impression of this was I could "hear" the planes, like an echo in a canyon or a memory from a movie I saw once. I think you accomplished your intent as an artist. It's very effective! :)

Richard Rizzo said...

Thank you RanchLady, I appreciate it.

It was a time consuming project but well worth it when it was complete.

TnMGraphics said...

breathtaking - don't know what else I can say.

Richard Rizzo said...

Thank you TnM, I really appreciate it.