Friday, January 30, 2009

Owls Head




Among my bizarre tastes of interest are those of mother nature and her unique art forms, what beauty can be found in a rock you ask? Perhaps the unusual shapes or likenesses that one sees while viewing them, these Tufa rocks that are a porous type of calcareous limestone formed from the precipitation of evaporating springs are some of the most unusual types of rock that I ever seen especially while out in the desert.

This photograph was taken in 1997 using 35mm Kodachrome slide film while visiting Pyramid Lake in Nevada north of Reno, a most incredible lake to say the least with Tufa Rocks both on land and in the water, some even taking shape as pyramids thus giving it its name.

6 comments:

Sea Serpent said...

Gorgeous photo/landscape, including the rocks.

Richard Rizzo said...

Thank You Sea Serpent, The surrounding desert landscape of this region is almost alien in nature and one which I'm sure would look most awesome at nightfall.

C. Bowie Photography said...

Interesting... I see the owl

Richard Rizzo said...

that's what I said when I first saw it too.
I always look for things like this when I go out photographing landscapes, It's sort of a hobby within a hobby. :)

Linda said...

Wow, those are neat rocks!

Richard Rizzo said...

Thank you Linda, It was a most unique place with different shapes of these Tufa Rocks all over the place.