Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Life after Death


While strolling through a cemetery somewhere in North Carolina a few decades ago I ran across this unique grave site where as you can see the tree rather aged itself grew out from under the stone as if the soul from the young boy who is buried here passed on through the root system and into the life of the tree. Though this was photographed with color film originally I thought the monochrome would be more fitting especially with the age of the gravestone.

8 comments:

Jasmine said...

That is really unique and special. You don't see something like that often.

Richard Rizzo said...

Thank you Jasmine, I agree and I may have missed this shot if I hadn't of gone down the road a bit more in this cemetery, I was looking for a place to turnaround at the time when I noticed it off the road about a hundred feet.

Jasmine said...

Everything happens for a reason.

Richard Rizzo said...

I absolutely agree !

Jason said...

Nature sure does work in mystical ways.

What would be really cool is if that tree turned out to be 158 years old this year. :)

Richard Rizzo said...

Thanks Jason for your comment, it sure does and I never thought about the same age for both grave and tree, that is a cool thought. :)

C. Bowie Photography said...

One of the most interesting tombstones I have ever seen.

Richard Rizzo said...

Thank you for commenting C Bowie, I agree you don't run into things like this often, I was just fortunate enough to have my camera with me that day.