Friday, November 21, 2008

Going Down

While traveling in Tennessee and visiting Chattanooga with its famous civil war battlefield I couldn't help but to notice the cable driven incline railroad known as the Lookout Mountain Railway with its 72.7% grade that bills it as the steepest passenger railway in the world and being a railroad fan myself I couldn't wait to jump on board this unique ride. The view from its windowed carriage on a clear day is nothing short of spectacular as shown in this photograph that I took while standing at the rear of the car. Besides its historical significance this area of Tennessee is truly a beautiful place to visit and I would highly recommend it to anyone that may be visiting this part of the region.

4 comments:

Jasmine said...

Wow, that is beautiful. When I first glanced at it I didn't realize it was a photograph -- I thought it was a painting!
My boyfriend and I have talked about possibly moving to Tennessee in the future.

Richard Rizzo said...

thank you Jasmine I'm glad you like this shot it's one of my favorites.

Tennessee and its neighboring states are most beautiful one of my favorite places was the Smoky Mountains of North Carolina which is only a stone throw away.

C. Bowie Photography said...

I love this ride. I used to take it often when we lived in Tenn. Thanks for posting that picture.

Richard Rizzo said...

Thank you Chris for your comment, I agree this was about the most interesting railroad excursion I have ever taken, hopefully one day I will make it back there for another ride.